Another 2 plants, I can't identify

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chea
Premium Member

Another 2 plants, I can't identify

Post by chea » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

I hope that I will not annoy, but I have still some more that drive me to despair.
Monika
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:45 pm

1, 2 sure as hell looks like wild carrot daucus carota.

3, looks like wild sweet pea empty pods (this is not the real name but look it up, however the local version is smaller than the Sicilian one)

chea
Premium Member

Post by chea » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Thank you RB for your help. I thought it is Daucus carota, but I was not sure.
Do you mean Lathyrus odoratus? Now, I realize that the fruit tube is empty and the halves of the pods are rolled because of drying.

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Actually looking it up here (thanks MWP) it's "probably" http://www.maltawildplants.com/FABC/Lat ... ymenum.php as I have never seen L. odoratus in the wild. I have in Sicily though, its flower is much much larger than L. clymenum.

RB

chea
Premium Member

Post by chea » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, I agree. I also haven't seen L. odoratus in the wild. But I know L. clymenum.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:28 pm

yes agree both.

same never saw lathyrus odoratus in the wild!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:44 pm

There is a tiny chance that your Daucus could be D. rupestris or D. gingidium, distinguished from the leaves and closed fruit, but since D. carota is the most common except at the coast/lithoral/rupestral areas, it is likely that your wild carrot is D. carota.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}