For a change two flowering plants.

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chea
Premium Member

For a change two flowering plants.

Post by chea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:10 pm

The yellow plant (23.05.2015, il-Wileġ), I thought of Medicago arborea. But the leaves don't fit. And I forgot to take a close up.
The other one is from Wied Dalam, 7th October 2015.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Top one, "hatab" is the Maltese name, need to look up the Latin... bottom is an escaped ornamental, Lantana camara, available in a zillion different colours and very popular with butterflies such as the Red Admiral and Painted Lady.

Actually correction, MWP says Lantana montevidensis for the trailing type, I thought that this was just a hybrid variety of L. camara but apparently not.

http://www.maltawildplants.com/VERB/Lan ... densis.php

Need to look up "hatab" in Weber's book, because I can't find it on MWP's yellow flowering ID guide. It's there for sure, so coming soon...

RB

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Anthyllis hermanniae. Very pretty when there are lots of them in flower, turning the garigue into a patchwork of yellow. Quite localised, generally up north such as the east side plateau in Mellieha, where there are quite a few Cistus creticus.

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

agree.
according to brullo our 'hatab' are a local race
Anthyllis hermanniae melitensis

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Wonder whether "hatab" was actually collected for burning - as in the common reference to hatab as general brushwood specifically for the fire i.e. whether our common usage of this word was derived from this plant and its previous purpose.

It grows and propagates somewhat slowly I suspect that if it were, it could easily be made extinct in areas.

RB

chea
Premium Member

Post by chea » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you RB and il-Pine for all this useful informations.
Monika

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:24 pm

no idea RB! might be

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:47 pm

I assumed that hatab referred to humps (tipo l-hotba tal-gemel), but just my guess.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}