Click Logo to go to the MaltaWildPlants.com Index MaltaWildplants.com
Comprehensive database of the Wild plants of Malta

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identification key for Amaranthus spp. in Malta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaltaWildplants.com Forum Index -> News + Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Identification key for Amaranthus spp. in Malta

Hi,

I was working on a pictorial and interactive key for the Amaranthus species in Malta. You can use it from this LINK

Please test it and let me know if there are some things to change. There is a little bug in the photo credits (they change text-style) but it will be fixed soon.

I was a bit shaky in the distinction between cruentus and hypochondriacus - it is not very clear

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}
IL-PINE
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject:

prosit. extremely well done!

keep it up!
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject:

OK, let me know if you find some phrase which is not written in the best english! The images under the microscope and some species were quite a pain.

Hybridus vs retroflexus is not always clear cut and I believe we have the hybrid in Malta (reported in flora iberica for example).

Today I saw hypochondriacus in cultivation and hope they keep it for few days to take a pic next time (camera no memory card syndrome)

I think I will do the rest of the Amarantaceae species. You can copy and paste the text from this key for our project. Note that Chenopodium is Amarantaceae now and actually all Chenopodiaceae were sunken in Amaranthaceae. Cremnophyton was now combined into Atriplex according to a gentetic research on atripelx spp and related genera. Not an easy family!

IL-PINE
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject:

just for curiosity and to further complicate your work
does amaranthus hybridus occur with a red variety?

it is a very good key.
probably the most detailed I have ever seen.

cheers
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't know, but I have a paper on the Amaranthus hybridus group which I need to read, however the ones in Malta were always green, and there a was a key which separated hybridus/retroflexus etc from cruentus/caudatus from the green inflor. All red Amaranths that I studied were not hybridus in Malta, but you never can be sure in domesticated species

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaltaWildplants.com Forum Index -> News + Announcements All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: