Identification key for Amaranthus spp. in Malta

Latest news about the website and whole project. Can be read in more detail on www.maltawildplants.com/News.html

Moderator: MWP admin

MWP admin
Site Admin

Identification key for Amaranthus spp. in Malta

Post by MWP admin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:37 am

Hi,

I was working on a pictorial and interactive key for the Amaranthus species in Malta. You can use it from this LINK

Please test it and let me know if there are some things to change. There is a little bug in the photo credits (they change text-style) but it will be fixed soon.

I was a bit shaky in the distinction between cruentus and hypochondriacus - it is not very clear :-(
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 pm

prosit. extremely well done!

keep it up!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

OK, let me know if you find some phrase which is not written in the best english! The images under the microscope and some species were quite a pain.

Hybridus vs retroflexus is not always clear cut and I believe we have the hybrid in Malta (reported in flora iberica for example).

Today I saw hypochondriacus in cultivation and hope they keep it for few days to take a pic next time (camera no memory card syndrome)

I think I will do the rest of the Amarantaceae species. You can copy and paste the text from this key for our project. Note that Chenopodium is Amarantaceae now and actually all Chenopodiaceae were sunken in Amaranthaceae. Cremnophyton was now combined into Atriplex according to a gentetic research on atripelx spp and related genera. Not an easy family!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

just for curiosity and to further complicate your work :)
does amaranthus hybridus occur with a red variety?

it is a very good key.
probably the most detailed I have ever seen.

cheers

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't know, but I have a paper on the Amaranthus hybridus group which I need to read, however the ones in Malta were always green, and there a was a key which separated hybridus/retroflexus etc from cruentus/caudatus from the green inflor. All red Amaranths that I studied were not hybridus in Malta, but you never can be sure in domesticated species
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator