Fossilised plants ?

Posts related to the geological aspect of the Maltese isalnds. Questions, sharing of knowledge, stange fossils or artifacts of non living matter should be posted here.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Sigra

Fossilised plants ?

Post by Sigra » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi to everybody,

I’m really glad this forum is back :-D ! Grazzi !

In Floriana I found these pavement stones.
Now, I wonder, are these "patterns" artificial and of no importance or are these fossilised plants? And if so, do you happen to know what plant this is?

Thank you
Attachments
02238.jpg
02238.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
02234.jpg
02234.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 11326 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 pm

They are really interesting indeed, but I think they are artificial (or non native ) for two reasons:

Malta rock originated and developed under the sea (Coraline and Globigerina limestone) and so it is impossible to feature fossilized plants as in rock found in tropical regions. I don't think those are any algal/marinr species

Secondly, if they were truly fossils, they would be quite valuable and would never be used as a pavement.

So I think they are embellishment stones...

Despite this I can say that I am 99% sure but not 100%
:roll:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sigra

Post by Sigra » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Thank you for your considered answer. Grazzi!

However, I did some more "googeling" and found the following explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrite_(crystal)
Mineralogy and palaeontology

In palaeontology, dendritic mineral crystal forms are often mistaken for fossils. These pseudo fossils form as naturally occurring fissures in the rock are filled by percolating mineral solutions. They form when water rich in manganese and iron flows along fractures and bedding planes between layers of limestone and other rock types, depositing dendritic crystals as the solution flows through. A variety of manganese oxides and hydroxides are involved, including:
birnessite (Na4Mn14O27•9H2O)
coronadite (PbMn8O16)
cryptomelane (KMn8O16)
hollandite (BaMn8O16)
romanechite ((Ba,H2O)Mn5O10)
todorokite ((Ba,Mn,Mg,Ca,K,Na)2Mn3O12•3H2O) and others.
A three-dimensional form of dendrite develops in fissures in quartz, forming moss agate.

In addition, I found here: http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.woos ... e-germany/
How can you tell this is not a fossil plant? For one, the branches are too perfect: none overlap or are folded over or broken, as you would expect in a buried three-dimensional plant. Next, you will notice that all the branches extend from a line at the bottom of the image rather than from a single branching point. Finally, there is no distinction between branch, stem or leaf; instead, it is a fractal-like Distribution of tiny sharp-edged crystals.

Tislijiet minn Mandelbrot :-)
Sigra

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:43 am

Excellent research Sigra! Yes, this explains the fossil-like patterns in your images from Floriana. Interesting stuff, never thought of pseudo-fossils.

Thank you
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 pm

very interesting indeed. I still think they are patterns and man-made but :)