Click Logo to go to the MaltaWildPlants.com Index MaltaWildplants.com
Comprehensive database of the Wild plants of Malta

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illegal Bird Trapping in Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaltaWildplants.com Forum Index -> How to Improve our Environment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Illegal Bird Trapping in Spring

I admit that hunting has decrased thisSPring, but there are still several who do not abide with the reglations. I feel that these will soon or later induce other trappers (currently cautious about the situation) to start hunting too. We should do something to increase the sense of 'fear'

Is there some sort of (free) fone to report to ?
RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Is this about hunting or trapping?

RB
greeny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Bird trapping / Bird shooting both fall under Hunting (alive/dead)

So do you have a reply?
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I contacted the responsible authority and here is your reply:

"
All trapping and hunting is illegal at the moment. If you see anybody trapping or hunting in the countryside, it is important to contact the police as soon as possible, giving them the exact location of the incident and any information that may help them apprehend the culprit (eg car registration, description of the trapping site etc). The numbers to call are the ALE on 22942161 (or 2 or 3), or if you fail to get in touch with them, the Police Command Centre on 21224001. When making a report, ask for the badge number of the policeman/woman so that you can follow up on the reports later to find out what happened.

And if you do notice any illegalities in the countryside, please pass on your information to me as well as it allows us to monitor the situation as well.

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}
RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject:

greeny wrote:
Bird trapping / Bird shooting both fall under Hunting (alive/dead)

So do you have a reply?

Oops missed this one also. No did not have a reply as good as MWP's but basically of course it's the coppers you would be calling up.

As MWP says trapping is illegal in Spring (not sure if there are any exceptions for turtle dove and quail??) and as for hunting well you know the story well enough.

AFAIK this should be the last year that trapping is permitted in Autumn also, I think that Malta had a derogation up to end 2008 to allow establishment of a captive breeding program, beyond which no more trapping would be allowed.

RB
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Now its up to you guys to do your duty and protect Nature that god created. We have lamented a lot on the forum so hope you respect your word and your oath!

I must admit that there a rather big decrease in bird-trapping activity around!

So the first step, write down these numbers on your mobile phones!

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaltaWildplants.com Forum Index -> How to Improve our Environment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: