Small garden tree with shower of Small white flowers

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Small garden tree with shower of Small white flowers

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 pm

I found this in a front garden in Gozo. My first guess is myoporium but I the leaves are not like those of Myoporium laetum. It cannot be Sambucus at this time of the year! The tree was 2.5metres high
Attachments
Ornamental_Tree2.jpg
Ornamental_Tree2.jpg (364.21 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Ornamental_Tree1.jpg
Ornamental_Tree1.jpg (231.3 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Glimbo

Post by Glimbo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 pm

If it was in a garden in the UK I'd have said Viburnum tinus. Did it have a scent MWP? Viburnums favour well drained soils here, and calceolareous conditions. Too much to ask that this should be V. tinus though I suppose - this plant is often used here for shade planting.

g 8)

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Very Good Glimbo - I owe you one for this. I would never identified the plant. I made half an hour of research and it seems you hit the nail on its head. Morphologically, many things fits, and also the fact that it is a winter flowering time.

The only thing to check is the species as there are plenty of different Viburnum species.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:19 am

Yes about Viburnum. Have one but it does not get much water in summer and it spends much of the year looking miserable. Still I did not remember the name so all the credit to Glimbo.

RB

Glimbo

Post by Glimbo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:57 pm

V. tinus, unmistakably. I discover it is,in fact, a mediterranean plant. :shock:

Here's a link to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_tinus

g. 8)