Click Logo to go to the MaltaWildPlants.com Index MaltaWildplants.com
Comprehensive database of the Wild plants of Malta

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rat....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Rat....

Today I saw a rat's nest up in a Bamboo clump, (real bamboo, at Bidnija, not Arundo) it was really neat and it was also occupied! I was unaware, examining the Bamboo and I heard rustling just inches above my head, and saw a healthy looking rat very adeptly rushing off climbing through the Bamboo like it were a monkey, never a false step or unsure grip... I must say it earned some respect for it's agility.

I then noticed the nest, about small football sized, woven with the same Bamboo leaves as found in situ - integrated with the plant is more exact as a description of the nest's construction.

From memory, are not rats invasives from the Far East? If so then this one must have rekindled it's bamboo nest weaving "traditions", the instinct is alive and well as Mrs Rat did a very good job indeed. I moved away for about half a minute, on my return the nest had again been occupied, as again the missus scrambled.

RB
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Interesting observation, and thanks for sharing. I have seen several mice running on tree branches, but never a nest (and also never seen a bamboo plant in Malta!). I know that instinct is a strong genitical feature passed through many generations and rarely lost. Just compare the behaviour of cats with tigers or dogs with wolves both with a common ancestor and to some extenct common instinct.

PS, you should get the habit to carry with you a camera

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}
RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject:

I do and did have a camera unfortunately the nest was so much a part of the bamboo itself that a photo would not have been of much use.

You can see the Bamboo on the country lane (in one part not usable by normal cars) that leads from Burmarrad (meets the main road at the spot where the main road goes over a bridge) and goes up to Bidnija meeting up with the proper Bidnija road almost 3/4 ths of the way up. Normally there is running water even in the country lane itself. Bamboo is about 2/3rds of the way up.

RB
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks RB! I'll try to maze it up.

Do you think these bamboos are cultivated for commercial ornamental use? Are they those 'sticks' with one end being curly like a corkscrew (that we often see at nurseries)

Stephen

RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:

MWP admin wrote:
Thanks RB! I'll try to maze it up.

Do you think these bamboos are cultivated for commercial ornamental use?

? They are obviously wild plants in their native habitat but also of coruse sold as ornamentals. They are not "cultivated" in Malta, only imported and sold.

MWP admin wrote:

Are they those 'sticks' with one end being curly like a corkscrew (that we often see at nurseries)

Stephen

Well those are one species, there are quite a few species of bamboo. And they don't naturally grow in a corkscrew of course

RB
MWP admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

I have not yet understood the scenario of the bamboos. Are they a group of cultivated bamboos (assumingly in an open field) . I thought from the way you put it with the rat nest, that they are cultivated (of course from imported stock) and found in a large clump.

RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject:

They are not cultivated bamboo is of no real commercial value here.

It's just a clump which someone (presumably the owner of the field) decided to start off likely by planting a pot plant.

RB
Glimbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: just to cross reference....

Have you got a photo' of the bamboo RB, I may be able to tell you which one it is. (Bamboo 'nut' here).

glimbo:)
RB
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Could have by tomorrow. I helped myself to a "sample" and I could try taking a pic. Obviously won't be an easy job for you though because I only tried to get bits with a couple of nodes on them no more than 1 cm thick, off branching culms.

The new growth I saw had culms that were up to 4cm thick.

RB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaltaWildplants.com Forum Index -> Mammals All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: