Centipede

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xilpa
Veteran member

Centipede

Post by xilpa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:44 am

Would anyone please know the scientific name for this black centipede ?
Attachments
IMG_4842 copy.jpg
IMG_4842 copy.jpg (658.32 KiB) Viewed 11401 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:28 pm

I too have one for ID !

Unf. we dont have much fauna experts.
Attachments
Centipede_s.jpg
Centipede_s.jpg (285.33 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

xilpa
Veteran member

Post by xilpa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

I have it from a good source that mine is Scolopendra oraniensis, while yours Stephen is Scutigera coleoptrata.
Hope someone can confirm or correct.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I asked a Russian friend and member of the forum to check the images, though I am not sure if he is still active on the forum. Thanks, I will later check the names, though it seems that your source is very reliable.

Back in my early teens, I and a friend used to go in the countrside, and collect a number of insects (alive) in a jar. Then we used to place all specimens in a large container with a lid. Our relish was to see them interact and behave in their own life-style so to speak. At merely 12 and 13 we did not even know what a scientifc name is so we used to nick-name the species.

I recall that we used to catch the 'centipede' you showed us, which is often found under big stones. Not sure if the same, becasue the one I recall was more light brown in colour, and more legs. His name was "Dak li jhaffer malajr" since he was agile in tunneling itslef under soil!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

xilpa
Veteran member

Post by xilpa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Then it must be the same as mine. I just managed one image and it suddenly disappeared into the soil. Could not beleive how fast it was.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I recall a friend of mine who tried to catch one of those as Stephens' and he started shouting as it bit him. Apparently it seems to have a painful bite!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:26 pm

From Wikipedia about the Genus:
They are active predators taking prey as large as rodents and even bats. Their bites are very painful, but are rarely fatal in humans. The venom is delivered through the animal's forcipules, which lie just behind the mandibles. The venoms of Scolopendra species contain compounds such as serotonin, haemolytic phospholipase A, a cardiotoxic protein and a cytolysin.
I used to collect them with pincers, that's why I never experienced anything unfriendly!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm

ahh

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable