HELP urgently needed

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xilpa
Veteran member

HELP urgently needed

Post by xilpa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:58 am

I posted this picture on a photography forum and a reader accused me of faking it:

Originally Posted by BASmith View Post
Sorry, but I have to call the grasshopper shot as it is, FAKE. I can see the PP. And if it is not, show me an example of it from the net and its name.
Nice try tho.

My reply:
Do you mean that the colour has been tampered with ? I can assure you that it is not so, could send you the RAW file but this is 12.8 MB. As to id, I have no idea, but I will post it on a local wildlife forum and send you the details if I get a positive reply.

Could anyone please id this insect (grasshopper ? locust ?) so that I can forward the info ?

Many thanks.
Attachments
m_IMG_0368.jpg
m_IMG_0368.jpg (127.87 KiB) Viewed 11799 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi, Xilpa

Due other commitments, I rarely check the forum.

Was it from Malta ?
So you claim it is not fake (that is Post processed?)
What Camera do you use?
Did you have the ISO set correct (and colour set to neutral not to Vivid)

It actually looks to have the colour oversaturated and the brown too much reddish brown rather then the greyish-brown as usually they are. These are all effects of wrong settings on the camera and you can check what you they were from the Exif image info
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

xilpa
Veteran member

Post by xilpa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Stephen
Many thanks for your answer. I am sorry that it took me so long to answer but I have been abroad for the past 2 weeks.

The shot was taken in my garden just before sunset using my Canon Rebel XSi and a cannon 100mm macro lens. It was shot in RAW at ISO 400 (I normally set it at 200 but the light was not very strong when I took this shot) f2.8 and 1/320 sec. Picture style is set to "standard". All I did was adjust the levels ( in photoshop) , but this does not saturate colours, and cropped it.I have taken many pictures of insects using these setting and have never had any problems with the colours.I also distinctly remember that it was a reddish brown and not a greyish brown.
This is the picture as it came out of the camera.
I am also uploading another I took in Gozo, (not happy with it as the eyes are not perfectly in focus). This seems to me to be a differents species , but then I am totally ignorant when it comes to insects.
Attachments
m_IMG_0923.jpg
m_IMG_0923.jpg (107.81 KiB) Viewed 11715 times
m_IMG_0368.jpg
m_IMG_0368.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 11715 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Yes, the species are different. There some things to consider.

At sunset, the reddish/brown/orange/beige colours become naturally more saturated.

Grasshoppers undergo different stages of moulting which can differ from stage to stage, though I must say that I do not think I have seen a specimen as brown as yours. I am also not good on insects so I can't be more helpful from this on the identification.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

borgcar
Orthoptera Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by borgcar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 pm

The colour of the Nymphs can differ greatly. I nymph from the first picture is probably a Egyptian Grasshopper. Their nymphs can be from bright green to the redish colour as in the picture The second photo is a Blue-winged Grasshopper (Sphingonotus caerulans).
Matthew Borg Cardona

xilpa
Veteran member

Post by xilpa » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable