Orthoptera IDs 4 of 4: A Garigue specimen

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

Orthoptera IDs 4 of 4: A Garigue specimen

Post by MWP admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:03 am

Another one from the mu photo archives remained unidentified for ages. Is it possible to ID? Was found in a garigue. If more data is required (eg date or location) I try to do my best to fetch it.
Attachments
Locust_garigue.jpg
Locust_garigue.jpg (265.33 KiB) Viewed 20317 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Depends on the date - Monday it would be "Gurat", Tuesday "Gurat older by one day", Wednesday it would be...

:-D

... that's the best I can do!! but could not resist

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:44 pm

You have good talents of a clown, i must say :lol:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Conchiolin
Veteran member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Conchiolin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Very possibly a Pyrgomorpha conica.

Conica denotes the shape of it's head which is a bit coneshaped. But i can't see exactly the shape of the head. Was the head conical Mr.MWP?
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:02 pm

As an aside, I am very fascinated by the ones that look like grass, very slender, with a super-pointy head, in vivid green or brown, and not so common.

Reminding me also of the Praying Mantis, again probably a seasonal animal.

Maybe Conch or the others can elaborate.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:19 pm

RB: Have you checked Acrida ungarica subsp. mediterranea ?? Are you referring to this species ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Conch, this is the only pic I have of this one !

I found thisl ink about Grasshoppers/locusts...

http://www.biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de/o ... anaria.htm

... which states that this species was believed to be endemic of the Canary islands. Hence I don't think this common specimen in my photo is the same quasi-endemic Pyrgomorpha conica of the Canary islands

Also I think the ID of several insects is not as an easy job as comparing photos.
Last edited by MWP admin on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:07 pm

why are all these grasshoppers reminding me of food a?

!

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm

I used the book of maltese countryside to id those grasshoppers. Yes i agree strongly with you comparing photos is not enough but it helps. Example the striations on the eyes of the grasshoppers the shape and structure of the pronotum.

Mr.Rb you're definitely referring to the slant-face grasshopper. Yes they're beautiful and there are brown and green variety like the mantis religiosa which also has brown and green polymorphs.
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:05 pm

Hmmm... "Mr.RB" seems that he have not yet realized about www.maltawildplants.com/WildNature.php

!!Wake up!!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:50 am

What about Chorthippus mollis? (or maybe better C. brunneus)

I got this idea from the shape and bands of the upper part of the thorax (indented inside and white black band at border)

Another possibility is Ailopus thalassinus, but as I said in another post, the pronotum is not very alike to a photo in a book ?!? :?:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

borgcar
Orthoptera Expert

Post by borgcar » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Again Glyptobothrus sp.
Matthew Borg Cardona