No Comments - MWP 02

Post your favourite pics with a hidden message between the pixels or that are somewhat special.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

No Comments - MWP 02

Post by MWP admin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Scherzi della natura :P
Attachments
NoComments02-08.JPG
Urginea maritima
NoComments02-08.JPG (333.16 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Very beautiful I must say! Wonder whether that was a freak thing or whether the performance will be repeatable next year. it would be tempting to attempt to self-pollinate this and have a go at growing the seeds. Who knows MWP you may end up with a "variegata" strain which you may sell the seeds and marketing rights for :wink:

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:04 pm

I think there was some damage to half of the bulb according to the yellow part is more or less half the plant. Honestly, I have lot of other things to take care, but I would be very angry if in few years time I will see it selling $$ per packet of seeds from someone else.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Glimbo

Post by Glimbo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:20 pm

The virus would have to be 'stable' over a good few prop cycles before you'd know for certain that you were going to get a perfect result,( fit for cloning for the market).

You can only rely on vegetative prop for reliable results - you'd have to scale the bulb, rather than sowing the seed. Mind you, if the seed propagates easily enough, one could choose the 'sports' one wanted. - Then clone THEM.

Could be a nice little earner though - I do mean 'little' though, unless you licence the whole procedure and effectively copywrite/patent the plant you'll get a couple of hundred quid. something to keep you busy RB.........

lol.g 8)

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Haha Glimbo I'm happy enough just looking at the pic...

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:16 pm

heh, an artistic virus it seems

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Is that Scilla? Doesn't look like virus or damage since the leaves look healthy despite the colour (and viral variegation produces a mosaic pattern, not perfectly delineated stripes)... I would say it's some kind of very slight genetic variation ('chimaeral variegation'). Agreed, lovely picture!

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

I'd like to add that plants like these are very weak in the wild and tend to die out after very few generations, since the white part is unable to synthesize the food necessary from sunlight.

So perhaps Stephen you *must* take some seeds for posterity :P

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:34 am

It is difficult to say what have happened here, but since half of the plant is affected, it could be some 'damage' (viral, mechanical, chemical, extraterrestrial ?!) to the corresponding side of the bulb.

Well, in summer there is less things to do and perhaps I revisit the plant for some photos. The seeds would take a couple of years to produce flowering mature plants so I do not think I have that patience.

Yes, its important to copyright/patent your own work and ideas to legally protect yourself from other who might copy and imitate to make profit out of them. I just have a new case which I think it will end up in court after speaking to a lawyer.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41 am

D. Cilia wrote:I'd like to add that plants like these are very weak in the wild and tend to die out after very few generations, since the white part is unable to synthesize the food necessary from sunlight.
Most probably if the effect is genetic the gene may be recessive, and pollination with other plants would make it most likely that none or a fractional percentage only of the offspring would be this way. Hence the requirement to self-pollinate, and removing the possibilty of any of the flowers being pollinated by "normal" plants.

Even then, only a few would be this way (if any - no guarantees) but if you end up with more than one, this is a start!

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:55 pm

i bet its extraterrestrial damage :)

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Regards pollination, one should pollinate it with its own pollen and cover the flowers so that it is impossible to get pollen from normal flowers by bees. The chances of having seeds with the varegated phenotype are better, but again not certain!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am

I find you GUILTY of post SKIMMING so we'll meet up in jail, ehh???

You did not read my post which said just the exact same thing??? (just like I skimmed over yours :-D )

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Ooops you are right. We might forgive each ours sins :lol: :oops:

RB wrote: Hence the requirement to self-pollinate, and removing the possibilty of any of the flowers being pollinated by "normal" plants.

Even then, only a few would be this way (if any - no guarantees) but if you end up with more than one, this is a start!

RB
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator