Eucladium verticillatum

Discussion about Mosses, Liverworts (and Hornworts).

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

Eucladium verticillatum

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Val, the attemptive ID of the first moss was Didymodon rigidus if the margins are bistratose and Didymodon sp. if unistratose. I could not verify the number of cells at the leaf margins, but Didymodon rigidulus makes sense habitat wise. It was found at Dwejra, Gozo.

I'll soon post photos in a new post

Of course should be treated as a very attemptive ID.
Habitat wet stones in the shade (half-dark)
Last edited by MWP admin on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Leaves about 2.5mm long, narrow lanceolate, tapering gradually to an acute tip, margins not particularly recurved. When dry, leaf margins get recurved up, and asumes an erect orientation (not patent as when moist) but not appressed to the stem (as usually in vinealis).

Didymodon vinealis seems the only other alternative, so it is between Didymodon rigidulus and D. vinealis.

Check images
Attachments
IMG_1376.JPG
Leaves 1.8-3mm long. (mostly 2.5mm)
IMG_1376.JPG (129.41 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
IMG_1350_s.jpg
IMG_1350_s.jpg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

wow beautiful photos!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Another set of images.

Apart Didymodon, there is also Trichstompis to consider, though I do not think that there is a hyaline apical cell.
Attachments
Scan5.jpg
Scan5.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Scan8c.jpg
Scan8c.jpg (147.45 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
IMG_1456.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG (50.8 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG (128.07 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG (162.94 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

valerandi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by valerandi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:11 am

The new photos show that the leaves are linear and the cell shape indicates Pottiaceae. Although Didymodon rigidulus was recorded once from Wied Incita, and although the shape and habit is similar to your photos, the probable identity is Eucladium verticillatum. I have recorded this from Dwejra where the water drips from the cliff above (under the road).

To confirm the identity use a microscope and look at the base of a couple of leaves. You should see teeth like projection from the sides.

If you are interested in mosses we can organise a visit to Maqluba where I need to collect a sample of a moss I photographed there many years ago. I need the company as its difficult to get in and out.

best regards
Stephan

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm

ID: I got lost scratching my head between Didymodon sp.and Trichostomopsis sp. and nothing is matching well, in particular becasue the leaves are so linear rather than sub-ligulate/ligulate. I have not analysed Eucladium spp. since the keys did not led me there, though it is most probable that i missed some character.

Since the location is very near to where you described, it is most probable that the Id is that you suggested. I will investigate further and keep you posted.

By the way, MANY THANKS :P
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

we can certainly do a mwp hike to maqluba hux :P

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:29 pm

With very great effort, I have observed a denticulate margin in the basal hyaline margin, speaking actually of cell edges forming this character.The margin of the upper part of the leaf is not perfectly smooth, I would define it irregularly, minutely denticulate, but for sure the denticulation at the basal part is more evident.

I spent 2 hours visualising the margins before convincing myself because we are speaaking of teeth in the range of 10-20um!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable