Leiocolea turbinata

Discussion about Mosses, Liverworts (and Hornworts).

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

Leiocolea turbinata

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 am

Is Cephalozia sp. recorded from Malta because I found a 'population'. It is not given in the list above by the byrophyte experts.

Hope Valerandii is stil alive :P

Regards
Stephen
Last edited by MWP admin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

valerandi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by valerandi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I am doing a project on the Maltese mosses. I'm not an expert on liverworts although I am familiar with the more common species in Malta. Are you sure that what you have found is not Leiocolea turbinata, which is quite common? I believe Cephalozia are usually found on acidic/peaty habitats. Check the leaf lobes' tips: are they pointed? If not then its Leiocolea;

Check http://bbsfieldguide.org.uk/content/leiocolea-turbinata

best regards
Stephan

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Yes, Cephalozia are distributed in Northern areas so I was wondering what species of that genus the specimen would be, hence asking if the Genus have been reported from Malta. There is Cephaloziella, but i don't know - it seems not right. I have thought on C. connivens, also reported from Italy. I have considered Leiocolea and rejected it for the exact reason that the lobes are pointed. Maybe it is variable species. The distant lateral leaves which are not decurrent suggest Leiocolea.

Habitat surely limestone, in calyey wet substrate in shaded position. The plant formed white side flagelliform rhizoids from aerial part of stem. The width of the leaves circa 0.2-0.4 mm

I have been studying mosses on a occassonal cases for some years and got a nice record list. Some records need revising since I am NO EXPERT, not even a skilled amateur, though you sound quite -> very knowledgable person.
Attachments
IMG_1104_sml.jpg
Cephalozia or Leiocolea.
IMG_1104_sml.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 pm

This image from on-site, but not very helpful I believe.
Attachments
IMG_1079_sml.jpg
IMG_1079_sml.jpg (122.64 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

valerandi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by valerandi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Stephen

If you were not looking for a particular new liverwort the likelihood is that you found Leiocolea. The moss in the picture looks like a Didymodon.

I would be interested in any new records of mosses for a revised checklist I am compiling at present. The identifications need to be certain and to species level, preferably determined by a professional bryologist. I can identify most species to genus level but need help going further, unless I have met with them before.

thanks

best regards

Stephan

valerandi

Post by valerandi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 pm

I have looked again at your first photo and noted that some of the lobes are restricted towards the bottom which is a feature of Leiocolea. The area appears very wet. High moisture frequently leads to changes in the appearance of bryophytes.

But to make certain it would be best to consult with an expert on liverworts.

Where is the location BTW? The probable Didymodon interests me.

thanks
best regards
Stephan

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 am

I was observing the leaved liverwort under microscope, and as you know, it will get dry after a couple of minutes, so I give a water spray (or put it in a water drop on stage) every now and then.

I remembered another thing why I rejected Leiocolea, in my keys, this genus should have underleaves, which I failed to observe, but even from the pic, it seems the leaves are singular.

Hence I was directed to a different key between Plagiochilaceae, Cephaloziaceae and Jungermanniaceae. I will study again the sample shortly.
Last edited by MWP admin on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Leiocolea turbinata

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Valerandi,

I have studied 3 other specimens and I am now quite sure that the species is Leiocolea turbinata as you suggested. The lateral leaves observed were more rounded and typical as per description of this species. The book forthmentioned did not list L. turbinata (which do not have underleaves) and hence the keys did not apply well for this species.

If the species is quite frequent in Malta, then i have always missed it. I will comment on the other moss shortly in a different post after I organise a bit the forum with regards to moss posts.

NOTE: This post will be soon dissected to different posts in a new Bryophyte section in this forum.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

More images

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Check image from another specimen of same population.

Secondary leaves definitely missing. Leaf base constricted. Lobes variably shaped, often blunt-tipped, sometims rounded, sometimes acute.
Attachments
IMG_1339_s.jpg
Lateral leaves
IMG_1339_s.jpg (184.32 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
IMG_1346.JPG
(192.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator