Lunularia cruciata

Discussion about Mosses, Liverworts (and Hornworts).

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
robcar
Veteran member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lunularia cruciata

Post by robcar » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:33 pm

If the orchids are around, it is time for me to start going out in the countryside looking for plants - my botanical season is generally inaugurated with the appearance of O. collina and O. conica (unless I happen to start a little earlier with O. fusca) and comes to a close with the disappearance of A. pyramidalis.

Re primitive plants, does anybody know what this thing from Buskett is (photo from last year or the previous one) - i think that it seemed to be frequent around the watercourse
Attachments
P1110044.JPG
Lunaria
P1110044.JPG (216.46 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

wolf
Veteran member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by wolf » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Robcar - yes both o.collina and o.conica are out already - the latter in very small numbers - this plant pic you posted beats me however

wolf

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm seeing quite a bit of this stuff (above post pic) around. In fact I just saw a sizeable patch in wied babu valley bottom just today, and I also have isolated patches growing in pots.

No idea though.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi-welcome to the New Year (and the flora season) :-)
This beautiful pic is Marchantia sp., a livermoss (as we say in german), frequent but common in some areas (on wet places and in the shade), like Wied Babu (on the path).

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:19 pm

well, the 1st pic from wolf looks like a Brachythecium species as MWP said, but my knowledge about mosses is close to 0 (cero)!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Sorry for my absence guys - I am absorbed in trying to find funds or alternative work at the moment.

I have some photos to show you here (one is really interesting).

I think Robcar's species is Targionia hypophylla becasue I have photos of it and identified as this long time ago. Use at your own risk as I am no expert too ! Check about jackpot's suggestion too as first preference.

Nice to see you writing guys - you are my moral safeguard...
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

valerandi

Post by valerandi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:15 pm

This post is a little late but I hope is helpful.

Photo 1 may be Brachytechium rutabulum but it is more probably Scorpiurium circinatum which is the most common Maltese pleurocarpous moss and which I know is common in the Wied Qirda Maquis. The photo is not enough to distinguish with absolute certainty.

Photo 2 is definitely Lunularia cruciata. It is easily identified by the moon shaped gemma cups on its surface. It's common in humid Maltese valleys.

regards
Stephan

valerandi

Post by valerandi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Actually looking again at Photo 1 I am practically convinced its Scorpiurium circinatum. The way the branches arch downwards when they start to dry out is characteristic of this species.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Welcome back valerandi and thank you very much. I am always undecided whether to study mosses or not, and i always postpone it to when i buy a st. microscope!

Thanks for posting!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

valerandi

Post by valerandi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Sorry I do not post often but moss is one of my strange pet hobbies. Being so small and difficult to id they are not usually appreciated much, but that makes the challenge even more worthwhile. Around 100 species of moss and 20 liverworts have been recorded here but more can be found surely. Some species even endemic ones have not been found for many years. Finding rare species is as you know what makes botany most fascinating.

regards
stephan

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 pm

wow, that is an interesting hobby
are there any good books for identifying mosses btw? maybe i could interest myself hux :)

valerandi

Post by valerandi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57 pm

I use mainly AJE Smith's Moss flora of the British isles as most of our moss flora is covered there.

But for the beginner I suggest the online field guide of the BBS at http://hosting.sleath.co.uk/bbs/mosses_am.php

I believe that http://books.google.com/books?id=Z3C4Mg ... er#PPP1,M1 is also a good source

For a list of most of our bryophytes use: http://www.bryologie.uni-bonn.de/Archiv ... e%2029.pdf

good luck

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:17 am

wow! 10x very much