Water Lilies in Malta

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Water Lilies in Malta

Post by MWP admin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Nymphaea (Water Lilies) are plant often associated with CEntral and Northern European countries were there is plenty of water all year round - but guess whatI This population is dwelling in a semi-naturalised way in Malta for more than 5 years!

I have labeled it for the temporary moment as Nymphaea alba, but it could be a different species such as N. elegans or N. candida as it has a slight yellowish tinge. Not sure if a chromatic abherasion by the camera, but I think they were really a bit off-white (magnolia-like)

Have anyone seen water lilies Malta ?
Attachments
IMG_1381.JPG
Water Lilies from Malta
IMG_1381.JPG (117.8 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:45 pm

There's lots of them in a quarry near Siggiewi

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:50 am

I remember seeing them in a park somewhere along with the yellow water iris.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:42 am

BTW, mine was from Girgenti area. Once there were some at that rather new garden at Sliema coast (dont know the name but reminds me of Hon.Pul licino) I don't really care of plant in gardens/parks because they are cared for by man.

When was the last time you saw the Water Lilies at the quarry RB? (do you think that they are still extant?)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Couple of months ago. Been there for years. At the base of the quarry is a very large "pond" around the size of a tennis court and it is 30% covered with these.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks RB. As I thought, given there is still water all year round, these rather North/Central-distributed plants can survive in Malta. They are found in many lakes or slow flowing rivulets in Finland and there are species of the Genera of Nymphae and Nuphar Genera that produce ' water lilies '. There is in Scandinavia (or just Finland) a red-flowering variety of the white water lily (strange name indeed) which is rare and protected.

Are the water lilies in the quarry accessible for examination ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Well the quarry appears to be in use so I don't know. You would either get dogs or a gate or both to make things interesting, be best to just ask for permission to take a look. It's (broadly speaking) towards the end of the Siggiewi bypass, but accessible when you turn left towards the direction of Mqabba off the roundabout at the end of the bypass, then shortly after, maybe couple of hundred metres, you take a left up a dirt track off this same Siggiewi - Mqabba road.

Good luck in the search.

Oh and take a fishing rod with you - plenty of goldfish there as well!!
RB