Large Yellow bells on woody shrub?

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Hulland

Large Yellow bells on woody shrub?

Post by Hulland » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

I seem to have no luck whatsoever, at any time, being able to identify flowers by colour-perhaps I am simply mentally retarded ( mentally " challenged" ?) .As an example I am VERY familiar with the large woody shrub, with(6inches) yellow bells all over Malta --usually used as boundary plants. A friend asked me the name--can I find it within the forum? NOOO I looked through all the yellow, light yellow and orage flower lists - nothing.

Can anyone identify it for me please?

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Sorry - forgot to attach the pic !
Attachments
malta 2011 9ed.jpg
(243.21 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

Sigra

Post by Sigra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Solandra maxima,
also known as Cup of Gold Vine, Golden Chalice Vine, or Hawaiian Lily

sigra

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks Sigra--I saw an IDENTICAL bush today-the same in every way---except the flowers were very bright red ! I assume it is the same plant anyway? Always been yellow before !( In the ruined building on the way to Mgarr)

I really feel stupid because I can't find plants on the site because I don't have the first idea of any Latin names.If they are not there under the colour, then I am stuck !

Thanks again.
Attachments
2011-06-10 Ta Falka_001.jpg
2011-06-10 Ta Falka_001.jpg (155.86 KiB) Viewed 8887 times

Sigra

Post by Sigra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 pm

To me these two plants don’t look identical; I rather think the second one could be a Campsis radicans, not sure.

sigra

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 am

Its not listed (yet?) because it a purely ornamental tree, though I have seen it naturalised once, so I may include Solandra maxima on the website.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Hulland wrote:Thanks Sigra--I saw an IDENTICAL bush today-the same in every way---except the flowers were very bright red ! I assume it is the same plant anyway? Always been yellow before !( In the ruined building on the way to Mgarr)

I really feel stupid because I can't find plants on the site because I don't have the first idea of any Latin names.If they are not there under the colour, then I am stuck !

Thanks again.
As Sigra said - these are far from identical, I'm sure you must have sourced the Solandra pic, the Solandra has flowers around 6" + across whereas the Campsis has flowers that don't top 2". The latter comes in red (common) and yellow (far less common).