Artichokes

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

Artichokes

Post by MWP admin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:14 am

Hi guys,

This cultivated variety of artichoke - Cynara cardunculus at Mgarr gave me a lot to think. Should it produce the characteristic deep violet flower before fruiting. The field had 90% of the specimens in its vegetative state, and few specimens as shown here. I was wondering if hence, these are the buds or there is some variety/subsp that produce inconspicuous flowers ? (unlikely option)
Attachments
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG (240.25 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
IMG_0587.JPG
Cultivate artichokes - not ready to eat yet!
IMG_0587.JPG (152.93 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jackpot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:54 pm

I don´t think so. Actually the Globes stay much longer in buds as in the Cardoons. If you do not harvest the Globe they will flower bigger in size as in the Cardoons- that is what I found...

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm

So if I understand well, these are the buds?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jackpot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, involucral bracts of the inflorescence buds. Edible parts of the bud are the fleshy lower portions of the involucral bracts and the base (heart) of the bud. The immature flowers (florets) in the center of the bud is the so-called choke which becomes inedible with age.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes I understand now, I thought that they were harvested after flowering! Now it makes much more sense.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator