A tecoma

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

A tecoma

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 am

When I do not find any interesting plants in the wild, I tend to fall on some semi-naturalised tree like this Tecoma spp. I admit that I did not spent too much time on this species, but I think it is not the common Tecoma stans. It is also not displayed on the Ornamental book of Dr. Weber.

Do you know which Tecoma it is. The leaves are really distinctive and nice. I do not know how variable the T. stans is.
Attachments
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG (122.67 KiB) Viewed 7824 times
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG (153.59 KiB) Viewed 7824 times
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG (199.02 KiB) Viewed 7824 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Don't know, but got one of those!! And I'll never forget it, it is planted close to the house, one of it's roots crossed underneath the house, lifting the tiling in the hallway :shock:

Haq... :evil: :evil:

Anyway cut off the offending root @ the trunk, but still of course had to take off and re-lay the floor.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Should be a large specimen then?

Yep! Some trees are really strong.

They just removed a 25-30 year old Ficus close to our residence, which grew almost as large as a house. Same problem, roots uplifting the road, (and probably there were some major complaints by the flat inhabitants 5-10m away from the tree.)

I spent a couple of minutes on the net but got no Tecoma with those leaves. I suspect a hybrid, but not yet game over.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Wasn't (isn't) large, which is why I never suspected it until we took the floor out. Has maybe 6" trunk at base, I had sown this from seed originally, probably around 15 yrs ago.

Re the leaves, wtf, that variability in serrations is quite normal.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:28 am

So you consider this as Tecoma stans ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 am

There appear to be many varietes and hybrids of T. stans, so could be one of them.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/teco_sta.cfm

I know for sure that there exists the lanky, droopy-leaf type like yours and mine, and also a more compact / robust variety - not sure if the latter is actually T. stans but at first glance very similar.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:49 pm

I take your advice and for the moment halt on Tecoma stans s.l. I have searched and searched on the net and the results were that 80% of the images mostly show the flowers, while the remainder did not show any lobed leaves.

One the other hand one might consider the fact the there are a number of Tecoma species named for the shape of the leaves, thus giving a clue that the shape of the eaf is somehow important. (Wikipedia)

I really like you link and I am taking part of the site and paste the text here for educational purposes:
Common yellow elder (Tecoma stans var. stans) is a Central and South American tree that grows to 25 ft (7.6 m). It has bright yellow flowers and dense, lushly green foliage that is evergreen in tropical climates, but deciduous in chillier places. It is reliably hardy only down to 28ºF (-2.2ºC), though the roots may survive temperatures into the low twenties. Arizona yellow bells (T. stans var. angustata), which comes from the Chihuahuan Desert in Texas and New Mexico, is a 10 ft (3.1 m) deciduous shrub, which is hardy to 10ºF (-12.2ºC) and can be grown as a herbaceous perennial to Zone 7. It has relatively small flowers and lacy foliage made up of narrow, deeply toothed leaves. 'Gold Star Esperanza' is intermediate between var. angustata and var. stans. It grows to 3-4 ft (0.9-1.2 m) as an annual and is marketed as a Zone 9 patio tub plant. Whereas other yellow elder varieties do not bloom until they are medium-sized shrubs, 'Gold Star Esperanza' begins flowering even as a liner and is therefore more readily marketable in the nursery trade. T. alata is a very similar Argentine native that is root-hardy to at least 6ºF (-14.4º C). It looks like T. stans var. angustata, but has orange flowers. It is sold under the name 'Orange Jubilee'. 'Burnt Out' is a hybrid of T. alata and T. stans var. stans. It has burnt orange flowers and can be grown as a perennial in Zone 7. 'Orange Bells' (Tecoma x smithii) is a cross of T. arequipensis and T. stans. T. chrysantha has larger flower clusters and more dramatically serrated leaf margins. T. gaudichaudii (a.k.a. T. castanifolia), which has naturalized in the Miami area and the Dry Tortugas, has similar flowers but simple leaves.
Source: FLoridata.com
access: Last Day of 2008
URL http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/teco_sta.cfm

Would be nice to hear the German experts opinion.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 am

Wowww...
Having some free hours I am searching through the forum and found this topic- sorry that I am much delayed! :oops:
Yes, it is Tecoma stans s.l., which has a number of varieties, ssp., and x (crossings) with different leaves and minor different flowers. Most common in Malta is the x smithii.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

These kind of tees remained in my black hole... Will be labelled Tecoma stans s.l. as you suggsted
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 pm

hehe these ornamentals are very very confusing