ID please plant from Ghar Dalam

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Glimbo

ID please plant from Ghar Dalam

Post by Glimbo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi again,

Could someone tell me this plant please, I saw it frequently on waste ground and in domestic gardens around about the Island.

This plant grows against the boundary wall just inside the site at Ghar Dalam, on the left-hand side as one enters the gardens from the Visitor Centre.

cheers

glimbo
Attachments
Ghar Dalam.....ID please.jpg
Ghar Dalam.....ID please.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

RB
Premium Member

Re: ID please plant from Ghar Dalam

Post by RB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Glimbo wrote:... I saw it frequently on waste ground and in domestic gardens around about the Island.
Does not, that is locally very rare, there is another one in Birzebbugia and I know of maybe 2 other locations.

Wigandia caracasana.

You may also have seen the common fig elsewhere whose growth habit, leaf texture, etc, are very similar at a reasonable distance - sometimes even I do a double take thinking I saw a Wigandia.

BTW I've got one of these, will be flowering soon! Search Wigandia there's a thread I started.

RB

Glimbo

Wigandia...

Post by Glimbo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Wow! Thanks for that RB. - You're right, the other plants that I assumed were the same were viewed as I went past in the bus - their habit was different to that I'm used to here, for Ficus caria.

glimbo