announcement for "Ornamental Plants of Malta"

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

HC Weber
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

announcement for "Ornamental Plants of Malta"

Post by HC Weber » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello together,
it is my great pleasure to inform you about this new book (same size like the Flora) available from Margraf publisher, Germany, in the 1st half of December 07. The price will be 35 Euros.
I imagine that this could be a superb Christmas gift!
:)

Hans Christian Weber graduated with a Master Degree in Biology from the Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Germany, in 1974, and completed his PhD in 1976. He worked as a research assistant and assistant lecturer at the University of Ulm (1975-82) and is Professor of Botany at the Philipps University of Marburg since 1982, where he was also Director of the Botanic Garden for 15 years.
Ornamental Plants of Malta is a result of one of his research projects dealing with the Flora of the Maltese Islands. In this book almost all the ornamental plants cultivated in public places in Malta (approximately 450 species), are included. Descriptions of the ornamental plants are complemented by about 600 full-colour photographs, with notes on the flowering time, place of origin and occurrence in Malta, and remarks (e.g. about cultivation details) are included to provide the reader with useful background about certain plants. An invaluable aid for plant lovers, gardeners, students, and teachers, scientists and tourists, and all those interested in learning more about the variety of ornamental plants to be found in Malta and the Mediterranean region.
Attachments
announcement.jpg
announcement.jpg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 23617 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:25 am

We definitely need such a book ! Thank you for your work Prof. Weber
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jackpot » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 am

wow, MWP: I think this announcement should be better in the topic
Forum Members Outings and Activities?

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:19 pm

congratulations
another work from our Professor :)

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:40 pm

It will definitely be a superb christmas gift and will hopefully fill up a particularly large empty space within the botany section of my brain - I am utterly hopeless at recognising ornamentals and know next to nothing about them... it will be very much appreciated

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm

I have heard that they are delayed- not available until Christmas... :(

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Valentine's present then :P :wink:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Glimbo

very welcome

Post by Glimbo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome information on the book and congratulations on its' publication: I am returning to Malta in September and will certainly secure a copy then.

I have found the 'Flora' very useful, many thanks for that too.

A prosperous and fulfilling New Year to you.

glimbo

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello Glimbo,
thank you very much for the flowers (as we say in german language as compliments)! :D
Regards,
HC

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi together!
After a long pregnance (!) the baby is borne and available in Malta`s bookstores soon. Just ask for it in a bookstore and they can order it from the distributor Sierra Books.
Or you can order it from the Margraf publisher in Weikersheim, easiest possibly via an email:
weckbach@margraf-publishers.com

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:39 am

excellent news :!: :!:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:59 pm

Finally it's out !!! Everyone rush to the bookstores :-)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:17 pm

certainly not an opportunity to miss :)

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi forum hardcore members, just a question: is the book in your stores available and has anyone got it?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I checked a week ago from Sapienza (Valletta) but they did not have it :-(
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:58 pm

MWP admin wrote:I checked a week ago from Sapienza (Valletta) but they did not have it :-(
Did that just today before I saw this thread, what a coincidence! Not available yet. And it's not called Sapienza's anymore either...

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:45 am

We have to wait a few days more. Have you checked from the same shop? (Ex-sapienza?)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:37 pm

MWP admin wrote:We have to wait a few days more. Have you checked from the same shop? (Ex-sapienza?)
Yes, since (used to) I get most of the literature I need from there. We'll have to wait, indeed.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 am

what a pity, but I learned that the Malta distributor (Sierra Books) should have received meanwhile more than thousand reprints (paperback). In Germany as well as via www there are hardcase reprints available.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:36 am

Can you post the Website please.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:54 pm

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:53 pm

I ordered te book from Margraf , but hope it will not come by DHL!! There was no option to choose - it said transport by DHL or Surface mail ? :?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:54 pm

DHL is "normal" mail in Germany, which internally is normally surface.

Also you have the options of Airmail or International Priority Mail, however whatever you choose is unlikely to mean anything as they will choose airmail, logically.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 am

surface mail will possibly stop in Palermo... :-D :-D :-D
I have no information about shipping, but I know that our post employees will strike in May!!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:54 pm

I received the Proforma and it is 40.25 Euro including VAT and transport. Not courrier transport price for sure :-)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon May 05, 2008 9:55 pm

I have received my book that I ordered and .... and... IT IS AWESOME!

Congratulations to Professor Weber for another masterpiece. It will be really fun as well as educational to carry this book to San Anton , Argotti (the section managed by agricultural departement :wink: ), Ta' Qali National Park, Romeo Romano, and other public (and private!) gardens and identify the species of ornamental trees present. There is also a hint of 'wild plants' such as Tulipa australis, Vitex agnus-castus and our friendly Arundo donax plant. The selection of species of the Cactus, Palm, Spurges (Euphorbiaceae), Ficus and Rosaceae is vast and so very useful for identification.

There is also an incredible number of plants that I never seen and thanks to the given locations, one can venture and 'treasure hunt' the plant. The format is the same as the previous book about wild plants by Prof. Weber and Bernt Kendzior. There is also a very useful introduction about several gardens in Malta, where a number of species is given for each. I am also glad that my comment on the prev book was taken, and now there is the family names in the back index. The photography have improved drastically from the first book of 2004. :P

Well, i really need this book for my studies and to learn more about the plants that decorate our islands. Probably there is no more need of this part of the forum - all our questions are in the book!

Great Job :thumbright: :queen:

:sunny:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 am

MWP: yes, he did an exhausting and extensive job and thank you for your plaudit- I will forward it to him :D
Also, he followed your comment to put the family name at the top of each page! Thanks again for your enthusiasm- but remember, no book will be an alternative to your forum!!

jackpot
Botanical Expert

price

Post by jackpot » Tue May 27, 2008 8:05 am

Question: Has anyone bought the book in a Maltese bookstore and what was the price?

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 pm

I have just bought the book a few days ago from a local bookshop - it is excellent, well presented and very informative and useful for somebody like me who is next to illiterate as regards ornamentals.

The hardcover and soft cover versions were both available at the bookstore. I bought the soft cover book but honestly I do not remember the exact price (i think it was about 24 euros but could very well be mistaken since I bought more than 1 book and have thrown away the reciept)

Anyway congratulations HC Weber for a much appreciated work

jackpot
Botanical Expert

happy

Post by jackpot » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 am

Thank you robcar, looks like that you are the 1st Maltese who bought the book in Malta! :)