Typha domingensis under attack

Write here your own ideas and practical suggestions of how to improve the Maltese Environment.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

Typha domingensis under attack

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Piles and piles of Buda (Typha domingensis) dried. I have not concluded if these were poisoned (maybe for another bird catching clearing) or died naturally due lack of water, or been cut from some other part and dumped to this place. It is a bit mysterious and I will report this to Mepa in case they want to check the matter.

This Typha species is mentioned in the red data book, though it is said that it is on the increase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm

This plant has a dieback period, but I do not remember if it is during the winter or not, I think it is. The plants in the pics all appear to be last year's growth.

I presume that there will be fresh growth around March-April.

I would not worry too much about this plant - the seeds carry very far and a favourite habitat now seems to be excavated and water filled building plots, I know of a massive colony in Mriehel, and a relatively new one at Hal Far, always in building plots. Then of course there are the quarries, and the other places where the plant occurs naturally.

RB

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:09 pm

The dieback period is confirmed as winter:

http://home.vtown.com.au/~dbellamy/native/cumbungi.html

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Interesting feature!

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:55 pm

I always seen these plants green (including Summer), but now you brought me into doubt if I ever seen this plant in Winter. :?: Interesting if they dry in the wet winter months. Do others confirm this please?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:28 pm

confirm