Burnt Vitex agnus-castus at Qawra valley, Gozo

Write here your own ideas and practical suggestions of how to improve the Maltese Environment.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

D. Cilia

Burnt Vitex agnus-castus at Qawra valley, Gozo

Post by D. Cilia » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:35 pm

These pictures I took speak for themselves. The (indigenous trees were probably burnt in the summer by a vandal who had fair knowledge of what he was doing, since all other trees in the area were untouched. Though it's probably too late to take action, it is mournful that someone would actually do this intentionally to spite the government/ law officials/ Birdlife/ whatever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:38 pm

And while I'm at it, this kind of stupidity should be made totally illegal as well (photo taken at the same place):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:40 pm

WOW!!! I was just preparing the material for a post regarding this incident. All Vitex agnus-castus (a protected plant) burnt down and I wonder if any specimen will leaf again. Since no leaves have appeared by Nov, then I think the population is lost. It will take ages for seedlings (if any) to reach this size, and probably they would not make it with the competitive vegetation around.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 am

Noticed this, unfortunately. Some were showing re-growth, but only a few. But then again they should not be, at this time, so there is hope that come March we will see signs of life. I took some seed and spread it around the most promising patches, in the hope that there may be some result.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Great, I also did the same thing (LOL!) but do not have high hopes on the seedling with the competition plants. Also, the seedlings would take ages to reach the same size. Hope the roots were strong enough and regrowth takes place . I have reported this to MEPA 5 days ago, and no reply whatsoever.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}