jackpot Quiz 32

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

jackpot Quiz 32

Post by jackpot » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Something for the weekend: The white thing is a wild thing, the bluish-violet one is from public sites. The third one is not a leg, but belongs to a plant! :)
Attachments
n7v11.jpg
n7v11.jpg (178.47 KiB) Viewed 27042 times
s2i47.jpg
s2i47.jpg (137.01 KiB) Viewed 27042 times
b21d30.jpg
b21d30.jpg (178.85 KiB) Viewed 27042 times

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:22 pm

No 3 cats claw creeper yellow flowers long seedpods i have this the claws even can go into skin!

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Macfadyena unguis-cati what a name! I especially like the "-cati" bit, I guess it's counterpart would be "-doggy"

http://cals-cf.calsnet.arizona.edu/arbo ... _number=22

RB

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:27 pm

2 - is that a Ruscus sp. flower?

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:32 pm

Bugger, I probably broke your "secure" image naming code. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pic 2 must be therefore be http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week161.shtml.

Ruscus hypoglossum.

Is it so?

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:20 pm

While is pic 1 is a Liliaceae? (Asparagus looking flowers, but dont think its really asparagus). For the ornamentals I dont have a clue (and stimulus!)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:52 pm

MWP, you should make an exeption for invasive ornamentals. they are your flora of tomorrow. bye bye garrigue, bye bye orchids.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:31 am

RB: you identified pic 3 perfect! Pic 2, too, even it is Ruscus hypophyllum with the inflorescences underneath of the phylloclades, in Ruscus hypoglossum they are located upside of the phylloclades, but this not distinguishable in the pic!

MWP: you are right, pic 1 is not a Lily! It is invasive but not as massive as the chicken legs and, I beg your pardon, this is a straight hint, I am convinced that you even do not know the family :) :wink:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 am

No 1 is not in my opinion "wild".

Cryptic Crossword Hint 1: Potatoes, possibly post - redbull, or maybe with conventional terrestrial reception?

Hint 2: You won't get any Chardonnay out of this one.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:09 pm

I never understood Cryptic Crosswords!:roll:

no 1 grows wild but not really in the wild :wink: , sometimes it is grown for ornament but usually it can be found naturalised in or close to urban sites (as far as I found)!

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 pm

It should be easy for you knowing what it is?

I hope? Or else this must be impossible for whoever does not know!

Still Robcar likes clues :wink: so I guess we'll leave this for him!

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:44 pm

RB - I often have difficulty to understand what you mean!

for example: "It should be easy for you knowing what it is?"
is this a question or a statement?!?!

"I hope? Or else this must be impossible for whoever does not know!"

At first I taught you are adressing JP, but after reading this line I am not sure! Of course, JP, the quiz poster, knows the Family and the Genus and the species.

Sdravko, thats why I am not the fondest person of some ornamentals. People will throw unwanted plants in the nearby garigue and once the roots/rhizomes/tubers/ you name it are established, then as you said, bye bye delicate, low-growing maltese flora.

JP: Well at least you agree that the flowers' characteristics are Lily like (including ex-liliacea genii like Smilacaceae or Asphodelaceae) from the first glance of the photo. I can understand that it is not really wild species, so I am a bit out of stimulus :-(

However, I try to keep up. 6 petals, 6 stamens, actinomorphic, not Lily. hmmm.... Is it a Monocot ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:54 pm

The best I can tell you is to forget "wild", at best this is an escaped ornamental, very very hard to get rid of if established.

The clues! The clues! Read them!

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:39 pm

The best I can tell you is not to forget "wild" :)
Wild does not only means "wilderness".
So, am I right, RB, that you found it and know what it is?
MWP: the whole wild plant ( :D ) looks like a monocot but is not![/u]

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:09 pm

Caesalpiniacea
or
Lauracea
or
Flacourtiaceae
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:10 pm

OK for me wild means "native" so whatever!

If "Annie" means anything to you, then yes I know what it is.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 pm

RB: Do you mean the "wild Annie" from South America? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MWP- thank you that you coped with my remark that you possibly even dont´know the family (I could write this because even most professional botany experts have never heard the name). My hint: have a look in the book for a family which you have never heard... and compare the pic :wink: :wink: :wink:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:49 pm

yaya exactly

the clues I gave have nothing to do with the name however more the "features" of the plant...

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:01 pm

OK, but family we need family list / index in that book!

What about Phytolacca dioica ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:23 am

1. yes, in the next edition
2. no (you know Phytolacaceae!)
:)

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:00 pm

yes knew the family from that P. americum posted few weeks ago, but the flowers looked exactly like it so I stopped flipping the pages there. I give another round...

Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis
:wink:

So it is not found in the 'wild' as naturalised plant right? Can you give us a closer location spot for this plant as I got super curious!.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:53 pm

There are plenty of this plant in valley road opposite bathroom showrooms, and lots of other older neglected gardens. Some reach up to electricity poles even, but I dont remember where I see this plant as I dont really care.

And 2 in pots in my garden, if you want one you are welcome!

Just keep it locked up...

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks RB :wink:

Hopefully tomorrow I can go out again!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator