MWP Quiz 27

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

MWP Quiz 27

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:39 pm

Fruiting in Sep-Oct
Attachments
IMG_8195.JPG
Not the size of a pumpkin!!!
IMG_8195.JPG (110.76 KiB) Viewed 20638 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sdravko
Veteran member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sdravko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:02 pm

actually fruiting throughout the year. you should give them some hint

jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:42 pm

MWP: the leaves are edible!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:43 pm

I do not know, but the family it belongs too is notorious for being poisonous!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:02 pm

with "edible" I did not say for whom or how often :D :D I just tried to tease out a hint from you ... :lol:
ok- I was on the wrong tack, I hoped you would protest with "there are no leaves" :lol: because I had Cuscuta campestris in my mind...

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 pm

hupps... sorry, submit came to early- ...
I thought the green leaves belong to a host of Cuscuta and you have changed something with the colour and tiny branches... :shock:

so, we are waiting for more hints :roll:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm

I have not changed any colour or modifications in the pic. The plant has leaves (numerous) and stems are green. Does the sepals say something? Fruit opens radially to gives 6 crescent seeds. I would not tell anyone to eat it, and who would eat 2-3m fruits?

I think these hints are enough for now!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:43 pm

everyone gives up?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 pm

I cannot speak for everyone but I speak for myself - Yes, I give up

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:56 pm

at least the family is obvious

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:16 pm

I follow robcar :cry:
For me, sepals, carpell-number, fruit size, seeds, leaves and inflorescence are not compartile with "notorious for being poisonous". :evil:

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm

compatible

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:27 pm

JP, to be correct I said the family is known to be poisonous. The plant could be an exception (as Sdravko is saying) - have not checked that up.

Obvious correction of my text - fruits 2-3mm not 2-3m

The small flowers are inconspicuously green, but elegant on a closer look.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 pm

have pity with us poor non-native speakers.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting:

"
A trailing or ascending, small, glabrous plant which forms several basal branching stems that grow between 10-15cm long, sometimes even up to 25cm. Well-nutrified plants form so much branches that can be described as a small sub-shrub. This member of the -- :booty: -- family is a monoecious plant - forming seperate male and female flowers on the same plant.

The <b>leaves</b> are alternate and evenly spaced along the stems, held to by a tiny (1-2mm) petiole. They are broad oval in shape (broadest at the upper half), 5-8mm long (up to 10mm not including the petiole), greyish-green and with a smooth margin. Stipules are very small and silvery grey colour.

The short-stalked <b>flowers</b> grows from the axils of leaves as a unilateral raceme along the upper half of stem; occasionally found solitary. The male and female flowers are found separetely on the same stem, but often at different periods. Male and female flowers are actinomorphic structures but inconspicuous both in colour (green-yellow) and in size (4-6mm). The <b>calyx</b> is probably the most attractive part of the small flowers. It consists of 5 (or 6) rounded, lance-shaped, spreading out sepals which are pale green in colour with an elegant white margin.

<b>Male flowers</b> have 5-6 sepals and 5-6 alternating green petals, both about 2mm long. They have same number of erect stamens around a much-reduced, functionless ovary. There are glandular nectaries at the base of the stamens. Anthers yellowish-brown. <b>Female flowers</b> same as male but lack stamens and petals and have a larger 3-parted central ovary with 3 free, filiform, short styles. The ovary is divided into 3 locules with two ovules each. In some cases there is a partial connate morphology in the free perianth segments and male reproductive organs.

The fertilized ovary enlargens itself to a 3mm sub-spherical, glabrous, greyisg-green, <b>fruit capsule</b> which stores a maximum of 6 seeds. Seeds become brown when ripe. They are 2mm long, triquetrous in shape (triangular cross section) with the outer side rounded. It can be imagined as one of the parts when a spherical structure is divided into 6 radially-equal parts.
"

More help than that could not be, probably the most descriptive text about this plant in the world!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:48 pm

wow, a new profile? or where did you get that from? i like long descriptions.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm

Shall I reveal this small plant? - I could not give more details than that above. When it is revealed you will agree that the Family is notorious for poison !
:P
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Well nobody can guess it so click here for the species name ! ! ! 8)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator