One you'll love

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

One you'll love

Post by RB » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Try this. You will be surprised. I'll be dropping hints upon request - but you will need to make an effort!

RB
Attachments
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 14555 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Well, I would opt on Malvaceae and some sort of Lavatera or Hibiscus spp. on first glance. The leaves are however strange for a Hbiscus
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 pm

Malvaceae - Correct! But not Lavatera or Hibiscus.

Tip 1 - Perennial shrub, but killed off in winter in cold climates.

Next guess!

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:15 pm

Abutilon (bedfordianum)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 pm

No, sorry!

Another tip - this is not grown for it's flowers even though they are quite beautiful...

now this is quite a tip - as you may read between the line(s).

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:38 am

Ok, I was hoping Jackpot would give us the answer and save us the day, so I made a bit of search and arrived to
Gossypium herbaceum (or hirsutum?) - The cotton plant - which I admit I never seen with my eyes despite it was so common in Malta.

Bravo RB, a very good quiz.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 am

Prosit MWP, I have no doubt you worked very hard with the limited tips! Here's another pic of another plant I have, that shows the "after".

I too had never seen one even though it was once extremely common as a crop, and this summer I was given 2 seedlings. I must say the flower is very beautiful and produced all year round (well for as long as I have had the plants anyway) and it's an ornamental plant also.

RB
Attachments
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG (59.33 KiB) Viewed 14415 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:15 am

Congratulations to you for your successful propagation.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator