Bulk Competition with no prize no1

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bulk Competition with no prize no1

Post by RB » Wed May 09, 2007 11:15 pm

OK - take a look at these. Try and find (and ID) as many plants in the photos as you can. Not necessarily in the pots! No complaints, the photos may not be perfect, but do your best! Some are easy, others not! Some native, others ornamental... Clues given on request...

Six should be possible.

RB
Attachments
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG (121.07 KiB) Viewed 16725 times
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG (119.14 KiB) Viewed 16725 times
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG (110.32 KiB) Viewed 16725 times
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG (139.96 KiB) Viewed 16725 times

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Wed May 09, 2007 11:19 pm

Well, make that five, to be reasonable.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu May 10, 2007 9:34 am

:-D
Attachments
img_1295_139-answer.JPG
img_1295_139-answer.JPG (153.21 KiB) Viewed 16720 times

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu May 10, 2007 9:41 am

hups- missed the other pics and have to correct Ficus (thought with fruits) to Salix (with snakes) :D as well as the change from Dodonaea to Lycium- in 1345 there is also Aechmaea (Bromeliaceae) and Poinciana gilliesii (left hand side of the giant Schefflera) :lol:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu May 10, 2007 10:16 am

hehehehe I liked the "Trashea" best... but the "Vascularia" was also close!!!

I call the one with blue flowers Solanum rantonettii, no no lavatera arborea, but that plant will be in another comp, more clear, that was impossible to id!!! I said 5!!! Not 50!!!

Confirm also Lycium (from Ghadira) and Erythrina (indica).

Obviously Salix p., as you noted.

The Iris, I do not know... It has white flowers and I have had these for many many years, these are seen in (or near) cultivation. Any idea?

Pericallis? No, that is Alcea rosea, but then again that was not very clear was it ;-)

No Aechmea. Not that I know what that plant is, however, just that I know what it is not. This plant has a bulb, it has leaves arranged "on one plane" not radially, and makes red flowers. Sort of Clivia, but the flowers are just tubes, they are not "trumpets".

No Ponciana / Caesalpinia, but not knowing which you refer to in the photo.

Any info on the Iris welcome.

Incidentally since you seem to enjoy it ;-) in the foreground of 1345 there are 3 other species... of which 2 may be possible, even though Left hand side plant is young and looks different to what is expected, currently has a highly misleading appearance.

Your final shot!

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Solanum rantonettii is the old name of that one I mentioned...
ok, 1345: left looks like Sonchus ten., right M. unguis-cati...
the white Iris should be: Iris × germanica L. “Florentina”
:wink:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu May 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Sorry did not work ;-) Obviously those plants were not meant to be ID'd so not surprising.

But thanks for the Iris.

Next one soon, some of the "impossibles" in these pics will be more visible.

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu May 10, 2007 1:41 pm

I continue to conclude that you have an entire Mizieb there!

:lol:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu May 10, 2007 2:38 pm

That is just one "pallet load" out of approximately 8 in terms of area, as not all the pots are on pallets, which were propagated this year...

There are also to be added many mature plants that I have had for many years.

The plants here are where I ordinarily live not where we have our large garden.

Attached pic of a Euphorbia candelabra, yes, it's massive - the pic taken from first floor level, so you can't see the bottom 3/4ths, only a small piece of trunk is visible - the tree in front is seed-grown and is about one and a half storeys high, so you have scale.

Maybe JP can ID the tree, I forgot the name but the sp. name means something like "very shiny" in Latin. Present at San Anton. It makes black berries.

"Inside" the tree, and almost as tall as the tree but again almost invisible except for a small section, is a cristate variety of a cactus sp grown from a small section about 20 cm in size. I do not know the sp.

RB
Attachments
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG (143.08 KiB) Viewed 16705 times