Cremnophyton lanfrancoi

This topic covers general and specific questions and requests about the wild flora of malta.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Grey's Anatomy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cremnophyton lanfrancoi

Post by Grey's Anatomy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:13 pm

I'd like to know if the endemic plant Cremnophyton lanfrancoi is legally protected.

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Too busy to do this myself for you right at this moment in time, but if you search on the 'net you may well find out its status on some MEPA document or similar - you will definitely find the protected trees.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:20 am

In the maltawildplants website there is a file form Mepa about protected flora. (main menu -> docs). I believe that all endemics are protected, but not sure about the common ones off hand.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 am

If that is the case then it must be. Maybe I misunderstood you, but C.l is not common in the wild except where replanted. I only ever saw one naturally occuring plant, at Fomm Ir Rih - although undoubtedly it must be present in several other locations.

Incidentally it is extremely easy to propagate by seed, I got some from a public garden in Ghargur a couple of weeks back and they sprouted in less than a week.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:52 am

I am not sayin C.i is common, but till as far as I know, all endemics are protected , but the common examples (like Chiliadenus bocconei) might be excempted from the list of protected species.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 am

Now I got a bit wiser from 5 years ago, when I was in my inphancy of botany. Yes, definitely, Cremnophyton lanfrancoi is a strictly protected species. You might be however confused, because despite its protection, you can find it planted in some sites in public parks and gardens. As the law is, these 'non-wild" specimens are also protected! :roll:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:58 pm

It is legally protected yes. Besides being endemic also the genus is endemic. I believe it was once brought on a website as one of the 50 rarest Mediterranean species.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Precisely, the top 50 endangered plants of the Mediterranean, rather the most rare. Together with Cremnophyton, thera are also the plant species of Palaeocyanus crassifolius (given as Cheirolophus crassifolius) and Helichrysum melitense.

All three have one thing in common (apart endemism, and can be found in Gozo)? What you think it is :?:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator