Nice places in Gozo for hiking

This topic covers general and specific questions and requests about the wild flora of malta.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Zurrija

Nice places in Gozo for hiking

Post by Zurrija » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am

My husband and I are going to Gozo for a long weekend to celebrate our first year marriage anniversary on last week-end of October. We will stay in Qala.

I would like to receive any suggestions about nice routes for hiking in Gozo. It could be long and with rough terrain, we are not bothered about it.

I know Gozo, but very little. The nicest hikes I did were Rdum il-Kbir (from Ramla bay to San Blas bay), Mgarr to Xlendi along the coast and some minor walks like in Dwejra area, Dahlet Qorrot, Hondoq ir-Rummien, Ghasri and Xwejni, San Dimitri chapel area.

I'd be glad to receive any suggestions where could we go to hike.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:07 pm

I do not know Gozo very well but you seem th have found some of the nicest locations. Some others are:
Xlendi and Xlendi valley, The coast NW of Marsalforn and Ghain Barrani. Or pretty much all of Gozo if you like agriculture.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:24 pm

I suggest Ta' Cenc to Mgarr ix-xini through Wied Mgarr ix-xini if you like. (follow the Map)

Then there is a nice valley which ends at Dwejra. Ideally you start from the top, some street near Ghajn Abdul and go slowly down. There is a quarry the spoils a bit the peaceful nature.

Another adventureous walk is to go at Xlendi, climb the high cliffs on the right side of the bay, and walk till dwejra.

We have also once walke from Hondoq ir-Rummien to M'Forn (via Dahlet Qorrot, San Blas and Ramla) but that was too long. Check this link on mu site for that:

http://www.marz-kreations.com/Photos/06 ... lk1_0.html

And finally, Congratulations for your 1 year marriage.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Ideally it should end at a bar with a pint of beer :D

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Or a gozitan Fenkata with Girgentina wine (Gozitan local wine!)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:24 pm

You seem to have most of Gozo covered. Another nice interesting bit is from the Ghadira Ta' Sarrafu area (maybe you hear the feking frogs they are very loud) all the way to Dwejra, not via the road, but as much as possible sticking to the cliff edge from the Ghadira. Again a quarry but what can you do. Not during hunting season though, or at least don't go early!

RB

Zurrija

Post by Zurrija » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks a lot for congratulations, Admin!
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

Zurrija

Post by Zurrija » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:41 pm

I forgot to add Sarraflu to the list - I had already been there too and even posted a short note to RuLJ (it's in Russian, but): http://community.livejournal.com/hiking ... /1505.html

I was there in early December and do not remember any frogs' songs. I don't know when is the season for their "singing" in Malta. In Russia it's late spring if I'm not mistaken.
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:37 pm

I think they were singing in April/may, which was the last time I was in that place. It would be spring, so that would explain it, time for sox ;-) pity the frogs only one time a year and then they do it with eggs hehehe

The frogs there are not native, they are larger, and very very loud all the day!! They sound like a lot of ducks going quaaak, quaaak, quaaak except when you get close and they shut up.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 pm

never looked closely at the frogs at that place but if they are bullfrogs eat them. they are a threat to biodiversity and also very tasty.
I might look closely at them some time, too. I still have my bullfrog hunting permit from Arizona. :D :twisted:

:kermit: > visit by Sdravko>= :angel5:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:05 pm

I will leave the eating to you ;-) some frogs are very poisonous!

Maybe the Gozitans will then call the area "ghadira tal-mignun" which means "the madman's pond".

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:23 pm

im a vegetarian. no exeptions even for green frogs. but im sure i will find some Gozitans i can teach eating frogs. :lol: The problem is catching them since they fight like crazy. :wink:
If Maltese and Gozitans were so quick in naming places after me Dingli cliffs would be the Lunatics cliffs, Fungus rock would be Crazy Guy rock and wied Hanzira would be Suicide valley. :twisted:
not to mention several 100 other places in the Islands. :D

Zurrija

Post by Zurrija » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:34 pm

Hi,

Just to close this thread I'd like to say that I chose walks
-Down Wied Hanzira (some pictures here: http://pics.livejournal.com/zurrija/gallery/0004k9tt);
-Down Wied Lunzjata (some pictures here: http://pics.livejournal.com/zurrija/tag ... d+Lunzjata);
-Gharb vicinity (it's our usual destination in Gozo, there we finally have found mushroom shaped rock in Heqqa point)
-Qala vicinity, place called Tas-Sidra, near Gebla tal-Halfa and long cart ruts.
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Thank you for sharing photos of your excursions in Gozo valleys. I am glad that you chosen Wied Hanzira as one of your destinations - it is my fav valley in Gozo. I really would like to see how this wide valley looks right now, after some 100mm of rain!

I did not know about Lunzjata Valley and we will visit it very soon, at least to take a photo of the nice chapel at the valley.

Thanks Zurry
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator