Flora of Malta

This topic covers general and specific questions and requests about the wild flora of malta.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

John Holst

Flora of Malta

Post by John Holst » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi

Im new to this forum, and I hope to learn more about the flora of Malta by joining.

Last Eastern I visited Malta taking a lot of photoes of the wild plants of the island. This Eastern (in two days) Im returning.

Last year I searched the bookshops of Sliema to find a flora covering all the flowering plant species of Malta with no success. One of my friends have told me I should visit Sapienza Book Shop in Republic Street.

Any other suggestions?

Does such a flora exist at all?
(I dont particularly care for pictures or drawings, - English text or a complete list of latin names would do. But I wouldnt mind nice pics and drawing, of course :D )
Education: Botanist, University of Copenhagen

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:06 pm

The only book which covers almost all the flora of Malta (+/- 1000 species) is a book by Haslam and Woosley published in 1977 and which I believe it is out of print. Another option is the book by Weber which illustrates some 500-600 species. The website itself covers almost 800 species and is for free, but you can't carry it with you on the field, though its fun to compae photos at home. When you get stuck you may ask on this forum for IDs of your plants

I think I gave you the whole menu :)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

John Holst

Post by John Holst » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanx for the answers.

I have Flora Europaea, vol. I-V, which covers all the flowering plants of Malta (and all other parts of Europe). In the five volumes Malta, unfortunately, is put together with Sicily and other islands to the north as regards distributional information.

I dont carry a flora with me in the field anymore, and I stopped collecting plants for my herbarium twenty years ago. Today I just take lots of pictures with my digital camera.

When I return from my visit to Malta next week, I will write a list of all the plants Ive found (and taken pictures of) somewhere in this forum.

And I will take your advice and post pictures of all plants in this forum which Im not able to identify with certainty.

But since Im going to the island with my family, only some of my time will be spent in the wonderful nature of Malta. :)
Education: Botanist, University of Copenhagen

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks and have fun
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}