Many questions about AGAVE

This topic covers general and specific questions and requests about the wild flora of malta.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Lia

Many questions about AGAVE

Post by Lia » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:21 am

Hello everyone, I need your help. If you can I would appreciate if you could answer some of the questions below.

* I read about may different AGAVE plants; what I wondered is if ALL of them only blossom once and die? For exampe also those with yellow frames around the leaves (marginata)? And the "deserti"? Or only the americana-agave? And if so, do all different kinds of them grow that tree like and tall stick and then blossom and die right after?

* Do all of these kinds have the name CENTUY PLANT or only the maltese version "americana"? If so that would lead me to the guess that only that specific breach blossoms once and dies?

* How long does it take the plant to blossom and die? How long do they blossom, for a few days? weeks?

* The spikes on the americana's edge, are they poisonous? I was stung various times by them when doing a photoshoot and felt numbness in those parts. Coincidence?

* Also, I read different things on its species-heritage and as I really am no botanical person I would need some help understanding the diffrenece. In some places I read it belogns to the Lillies and in others I read it belongs to the cactus? Or does it both in different areas?

* Where in Malta are huge fields of these? Does such place exist? Either of those with the yellow outline or the deserti/americana-ones?

I think I had more questions but don't really remember...
THANKS already if you can help at all.

)( Lia

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:11 pm

* Where in Malta are huge fields of these? Does such place exist? Either of those with the yellow outline or the deserti/americana-ones?
Bahar ic-caghaq (under maghtab hill) is a large pop. If you cant find your way, contact me and maybe I have time to meet you and take you there (no promises)

* Also, I read different things on its species-heritage and as I really am no botanical person I would need some help understanding the diffrenece. In some places I read it belogns to the Lillies and in others I read it belongs to the cactus? Or does it both in different areas?
NO non... Agave genus now it belongs to Agavaceae. which previously was part of the Liliaceae. The Lily family have recetely been split up to several families (or sub-families if your like)

* The spikes on the americana's edge, are they poisonous? I was stung various times by them when doing a photoshoot and felt numbness in those parts. Coincidence?
Yes, it is quite possible that they are poisonous. If you eat a small part, your mouth get numbed for few days!

* How long does it take the plant to blossom and die? How long do they blossom, for a few days? weeks?
It varies but at least once in a life time of 100years. It is not true that they flower exactlyafter 100years. Some flower earlier,depending env. conditions. The flowering stalk remains for many weeks. Eventually it dries off and falls with wind or basal stem rot.

* Do all of these kinds have the name CENTUY PLANT or only the maltese version "americana"? If so that would lead me to the guess that only that specific breach blossoms once and dies?
I dont think so, the common A. americana is caleld so, and hence the general public might refer to them (bunched in one bag) as Century plant, but afaik they have different names, for example Agave sisalana is known as Sisal

Yes, it makes a blossom once (with tall pole-like stem) and afterwards the plant dies. The stem contains both thousands of seeds and many small plantlets already with rootlets, which becomes into a flant when they fall on fertile ground.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:13 pm

3 Agaves are featured on the maltawildplants.com website (things under progress at the moment, so bear some programming errors)

Agave americana :
http://www.maltawildplants.com/AGAV/Agave_americana.php

Agave americana var. marginata :
http://www.maltawildplants.com/AGAV/Aga ... ginata.php

Agave sisalana :
http://www.maltawildplants.com/AGAV/Agave_sisalana.php
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:45 pm

"It varies but at least once in a life time of 100years. It is not true that they flower exactlyafter 100years. Some flower earlier,depending env. conditions."

The name "Century Plant" is very much a misnomer. Unless it is grown under EXTREMELY poor conditions and remains highly stunted, this plant will nowhere approach a 100 years of age. Locally I would say that from an offset, an un-cultivated specimen will take maybe 20 years to flower, approximately of course. If watered in Summer, less, say 10. I have a large number of the ordinary americana and am continually trimming the sharp spikes where they may be of danger to passers by, so they do grow with some vigour, despite being "planted" in almost no soil at all (on rock) except that soil that they manage to hold with their own roots.

rb

Lia

Post by Lia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:34 am

wow thanks so much for all the varied and detaled quick replies saw the just now, will need time to go through them, but of course thanks so so much already!
Great help!

Am btw also looking for paces with some bunches of cypress-trees and olive-trees those old decorative curved ones..any ideas?

will check the answrs later, as said, thanks so much again for your time!!
Lia