Grass ID please?

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Grass ID please?

Post by RB » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I saw this in Sicily, but recall, and after searching, found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1220&highlight=grass+bahrija

BUT - it's not it. Or at least, it's not Cortaderia, I do not know whether or not MWP's find was actually that, perhaps without seeing the the inflorescence, it's not possible to reliably ID. Perhaps MWP's plant is the same species as "mine" after all, and not an alien?

The leaves are certainly very very similar, if not identical, the inflorescence and seeds not.

Pics - not mine, not too good but I did not presume that I would have have had this much difficulty in IDing so did not bother taking my own (got some seeds though haha!)

Any ideas? The plant is tall, just like the Cortaderia.

RB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:48 am

seems like Ampelodesmos mauritanica which is very common in Sicily, but more detailed images are required!

RB
Premium Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RB » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 pm

"Dix Points" :-D

Yup that's it 100% I confirm I have seen this before in Sicily in several places but only now bothered.

Incidentally and unrelatedly, saw a lot of Sage (Salvia, not Phlomis - although they share the same habitat and are commonly found together) of which as far as I know there is none in the wild here.

Does Ampelodesmos grow locally? Lots of suitable habitat I would have thought.

Although less rain.

RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Yes it grows locally. There are at most a dozen plants in wied gerzuma. Since the time of gulia 1870s when it was first seen, it has been confined to this valley!

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Fantastic, thanks.

Will try to propagate!

Got some Elm seedlings doing well :wink:

RB