Weird fruit-not apple or lemon...

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE, AlanOuten

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hulland
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Weird fruit-not apple or lemon...

Post by Hulland » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:42 am

Did a long walk yesterday across the fields ( Ghadira to Qawra Point) on the way (in the beautiful "Kalkara Valley"--near Xemxija) I found a fruit tree with strange fruits on it. They taste a little like apple-quiet sweet, but in shape they resemble a lemon. They have a very strong smell as unbroken fruit on the tree.

I asked 3 different vegetable sellers--comments ranged from obscene to shrugged shoulders! I saw them last year too in Feb. near to Rabat so they are not unique. Is it possible for apple to cross-pollinate with lemons? Anyone any ideas exactly what this fruit is please?
Some pics. here too.
( P.S. I believe the ancient Maltese basket is also an old standard measure of volume-can someone confirm please? Thanks in advance--Ian)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 am

You asked farmers and they did not reply,
You searched internet and did not find a clue
You read books and remained in darkenss
You wondered for several months what this fruit is, and no sign of light

You ask MaltaWildPlants.com and....

YOU GET AN ANSWER less than 24 hrs

:cheers:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Hulland
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks very much Stephen. Mystery solved. - Actually, I didn't wonder for " several months" a soon as I saw the tree, I thought " aha! Malta Wild Plants will know!".
Also I thought it might stimulate a bit more interest in the forum too. I didn't want to pick too many Quinces, so don't have enough for the jam or the bottled recipes, but there will be something to use them for for sure. Of special interest to me is the Maltese name too--as I can "blind my friends with science" about them! Thanks again for a prompt reply.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:52 am

saw them last year too in Feb
I thought you have been wondering since then! Keep us informed if you produce something tasting good with the Quince.

I had no idea that they used to pick this fruit up in basket quantities.

Something related - if you happen to know the location / find specimens of Mespilus germanica, let me know - it is very rare and would like to see it.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Common Medlar ? Unless I am mentally retarded, that is In-Naspli? If so there are literally dozens of those trees in the wild. At the moment they are in flower-at Ghar il-Kbir, Mellieha, etc etc Perhaps I am confused?

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 pm

This is what I know as Naspli... here it is in Gnien Ingraw last Sunday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 pm

No, Naspli (just Naspli) is another different species. The Medlar in Maltese is Naspli Germanizi. Google the species for images.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:22 pm

OK I stand corrected, I have looked at the images of Mespilus germanica, and it looks very similar to the common one.Is there anything particular that would help one to distinguish from the common one? Perhaps the flowers may have differences?

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:24 pm

well you can always go to the flower nurseries :) they sell medlar haha :)

cheers
never really saw quince in the wild, although it is also that I never really searched for her!

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Another one of my most favourite walks is along the valley that comes into the sea at Mistra Bay. I usually begin under the bridge on the approach road, near the Palace, then follow the valley right through to Id-Delli--a farmer once told me that locally it is called "Kalkara" valley ( Lime-burning?). Certainly it is littered with tombs, prehistoric quarries and lots of tiny fields with dozens of farmers( normally friendly and talkative), "UP" the valley, (past the 3 Roman apiaries), is a large prehistoric quarry cut out of the river bank, you can't miss the shapes- about here there are two Quince trees, as well as some other marsh-tolerant plants and several nice clusters of Narcissi, and various flowering plants.
I am looking for a good crop of Rummien or Pomegranate (Punica granatum) to photograph-nice red ones??

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:14 am

that is a beautiful valley! the apiaries are beautiful and the flora is extremely abundant.

Sigra

Re: Weird fruit-not apple or lemon...

Post by Sigra » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Hulland wrote: ( P.S. I believe the ancient Maltese basket is also an old standard measure of volume-can someone confirm please? Thanks in advance--Ian)
Acording to Joseph Aquilina, Maltese-English Dictionary:

Mezza, pl. mezez is

- Wicker basket for fruit, tomatoes etc. smaller than a qartalla.
- Weight/measure of fruit, potato etc. of about 25 rotolos. It is used both as a solid (fruit etc.) and liquid (wine, oil etc.) measure.

(1 rotolo = 793 gramm -> 25 rotolos = 19,825 kg)

sigra

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks for that info--very interesting.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:26 am

Yes interesting, would be nice that some old Maltese words are re-introduced and spoken in our beautiful and unique language.

Thanks SIgra
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:50 am

Good morning Stephen,

It is a specific interest of mine-the old Maltese words. The biggest disappointment to me though is, when I DO find an old, traditional word ( example;- dragonfly -- il- Mazzarrel. NOT " il-Helicopter" !) and mention it to my numerous Maltese friends, they either " never heard of it" or worse, are not in the slightest interested. Just goes to show that, unfortunately, Maltese is being diluted by other languages at an ever-increasing speed. How many Maltese teenagers have ever eaten Zinzli ?? Most don't know what I am talking about.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:57 am

Hulland,

If you want, I can setup a topic on this forum (I give you moderator status) and you can creat a kind of dictionary with old Maltese names and their meaning.

The contents will be seen by all public (not restricted to members only).

Only if you have passion and interest to do this, you are not obliged.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:56 am

I have considered your offer, and although I am not of Maltese nationality, I think at the very least it may add to the iterest on the site?

Therefore, although I am not sure exactly how to begin, I think it may be an interesting development. Thank you.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:43 am

It needs thinking, but I have some ideas.... I'll come back shortly.

In the meantime you can start drafting a list some words on MS Words. You may make a page for every letter of the alphabet and update accordingly whenever you have time. Then you have to transfer the text from your Doc to the forum by a copy and paste.

Should not be difficult, but needs patience
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 am

Hi Stephen,

I have not forgotten about this project, and I have made a slow, but nevertheless, a small start with the word lists. I have the Maltese fonts installed and hope to use the correct spelling. Hoping this will come through on the site too?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Oh yes, I will start something on the forum for this little (big?) project, and later it can be developed further on an own webpage if it gets big enough. I'll prepare the setup tonight!

Keep tuned
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks Stephen, no urgent panic though on my behalf.

Today I tried an experiment. Got the bus to Mgarr, walked all round Wied Santi, Wied il-Hmar and Wied Il-Gnejna, - up to the top of a fortified hill ( Il-Gudja). Then down to the beach at Gnejna, ( cold orange juice !) back up the cliff to the caves just underneath Lippija Tower, across the top of that hill ( acres of beautiful Blue Saghtar) and down to the tiny hamlet of Ghajn Tuffieha, along the top of " Il-Hotba" ridge to search for any more parts of the Roman road, past the hamlet of Il-Palm, then walked back from Ballut to my house at Qawra - all to see if walking is out of the question or not in these temperatures-

Conclusion ;- provided you wear a hat and carry enough water it is fine. Saw many dragonflies, although not so many flowers now of course, more seeds and fruits.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm

I don't really recommend to walk in the countryside between 10am and 4pm during the Summer months of July to September because:

1) too hot
2) no interesting plants
3) uv penetration to skin tissue is still at high risk despite clothes and sunblock.
Last edited by MWP admin on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 pm

1) I don't mind the heat ( often stay on the beach from 9.30 - 7PM)

2) I found - and photographed - many plants that were of real interest ( to me at least, possibly first time this late in the season for me).

3) I don't smoke and hardly drink, so my only real vice is UV absorption.

But nevertheless, I do appreciate your advice.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Mine was just a general advice/disclaimer - I dont want someone complaining of sun-fever after reading a post on Maltawildplants.com!

:-D
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 pm

obviously I agree with MWP's advice :-D

chea
Premium Member

Post by chea » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:58 pm

This is Cydonia oblonga.
We make juice, jelly, liqueur or liquor from the fruit.
Monika

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:49 pm

chea wrote:This is Cydonia oblonga.
We make juice, jelly, liqueur or liquor from the fruit.
Monika
Tasted jelly-like dessert in Sicily beginning of this month made from "melocotone", apparently it is a typical sweet for that period.

It was delicious, it looks like regular jelly so I was not expecting much, but it tastes just like eating a fruit, texture and all. Tastes mostly of pear.

RB