the Glider

Posts and messages related to the wild birds that live in or migrates over Malta. (posts against life may be removed by the admin without warning)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MWP admin
Site Admin

the Glider

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:54 am

I have seen this beautiful gliding bird at Commino, 22nd April 2006. Anyone knows what it might be??

TNX
Attachments
Bird.jpg
Bird seen gliding over Comino/Gozo area.
Bird.jpg (10.78 KiB) Viewed 23421 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jackpot » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:37 am

hey, I am also interested in the name: I met 5 of them along the coast at Fort Bengħisa in April this year!

Lisa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lisa » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:32 pm

dont know much about bird identification.could it be a crane? Grus grus?
but photo is not clear - how large was wing span and what were colours of the bird?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:22 pm

The pic you are seeing is larger by 4 imes from the actual image seen in our eyes!! It was very high up in the sky, and near the sun.

Anyone from BirdLife??
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 pm

The neck is far too short for it to be a crane - I probably think that it is a grey heron - rather frequent at this time of the year - but the picture is not clear enough for me to be sure - the head region is hardly apparent, and there is no indication of the birds colour at all - however an expert from birdlife could probably identify it.

- MWP do us a favour and stick to plant photography :wink: (only joking - i know that it is absolutely impossible to photograph distant birds with a digital unless you have an slr with a monster zoom)

MWP admin
Site Admin

LOL!

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:47 pm

You are right! Both the technical part and the joke :joker:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 pm

The link pic above is of a similar photo shot of a grey heron taken from www.soc.soton.ac.uk. It looks quite similar to the one of Comino.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:55 pm

mwp - i suggest you forward your pic to birdlife - ideally with time and place of sighting - they will appreciate the info and are usually pleased to identify species for you

wolf

Ke!tH

Post by Ke!tH » Tue May 02, 2006 1:51 pm

yes a grey heron

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue May 02, 2006 5:16 pm

here are 3 of the 5 I met few weeks ago
Attachments
heron.jpg
heron.jpg (142.96 KiB) Viewed 23374 times