Eutrophication at Chadwick Lakes

Other topics about Maltese nature that do not fit in the above categories.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sandra

Eutrophication at Chadwick Lakes

Post by sandra » Wed May 31, 2006 4:59 pm

For those of you who havent had the chance to go to Chadwick lakes this year, Ive decided to post two photos, one I took this year, and one last year. They were taken during March. We were there for fresh water biology fieldwork and were quite shocked :shock: with the view. Its about time someone did something about the fertiliser input from the fields at the banks of this river system.
Attachments
CL20061_l.jpg
Chadwick lakes this year
CL20061_l.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 11180 times
chadwicklakes1.jpg
Chadwick lakes last year
chadwicklakes1.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 11180 times

robcar
Veteran member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by robcar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:38 pm

You are right to be shocked - it is worrying indeed - I have been there very recently - in most places the water has now gone, but there was a thick mat of semi-dessicated algae in many areas - no wonder nitrophilous alien plants seem to keep on increasing indefinitely in our valley systems, especially those where the valley is bordered with land under cultivation

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:16 pm

What worries me further is this scenario :

1) The general mentality of nearby farmers reply "who cares? I care for my agric. products".

2) Most of the general public would reply - "so what's the problem? it will not effect me or my house"

3) Env authorities reply "No funds for yet another save-the environment project!"

4) The Gov would say on all media "its very important to safeguard chadwick lakes and we do our best to protect it!... bla bla bla" but nothing would be done OR to the other extreme the Goverment says "ok, we do a law about it" and the law is done but nobody would obey the law since as we all know, there will be no law enforcemnet / control. :wink:

I am afraid this is the general situation in our country. There is no mass mentality for environmental care :cry:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable