mushrooming

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Conchiolin
Veteran member

mushrooming

Post by Conchiolin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 pm

Later Mr.Stephen you mentioned the negative impacts that snail hunters have on the environment what about the whole families that go mushrooming on the dingli cliffs that trip on plants and collect any kind of mushroom they find. I love mushrooming but recently i became concious that it's not such a great idea to go tripping on these lovely garigues (i am growing them myself now :) its fairly easy ta! anyways ) Dingli cliffs are one of the major reasons hundreds of tourists come to visit our beautiful village) are being spoiled and recently the bus route 81 (against the will of our local councel) is now passing near Dingli Cliffs during certain hours can you believe this??!! Tourist this way find it a lot easier to come to the Cliffs but what about the environment and noise pollution and all???????? IF i have time coz right now i'm doing my MOCs i will go and take a few pictures of the state Dingli Cliffs is in.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Interesting hobby Conchiolin. On what medium they are grown?

Re Dingli cliffs, it is one of the best areas in Malta for a nice family walk and views and nature. After the walk you can quickly stopa at Mdina for a desreved coffee/cake or icecream.

For this reason dingli cliffs is more prone to damage. The bus affair would not bother me much (its once every 40mins) but what is really of detriment is the noise and the dust and the trucks coming from a nearby Quary at Clapham Junction.

Also there is lack of trashbins along the lane (with the result that public tending to litter around), and I hate those illegal "no entry / RTO / privat" signs or ropes on lanes leading down the cliffs.

It is also nice towards Fawwara but too much birdtrapping sites
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Conchiolin
Veteran member

my hobby

Post by Conchiolin » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:13 pm

first i pick up one healthy specimen of Pleurotus eryngii. then i do a tissue culture using boiled potatoes extract :lol: sucrose (table sugar) and yeast extract these are superb. in no time the mushroom completely colonizes the whole petri plate. then i transfer these cultures to grain medium. ( i use the best asceptic techniques but i still get a great deal of contaminations :evil: ) when the mycelium colonizes the grain i grow the mushrooms on saw dust, newspaper, straw which were soaked in water for a few hours. Using appropriate amounts of inoculum the bags in which i put the substrate will begin to fruit within a few weeks. hey why don't you try it out yourself here's some useful info:
http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Mushroom/prepgrain.htm
use pectin (make sure there's no sorbic acid or anti-fungals) instead of agar (cause one bottle of agar 500 grams costs about Lm22.00 :shock: ) anyways happy growing!!
if you want i can post some images of cultures but i'm not sure this has anything to do with nature so i'd rather wait for the go -ahead

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Very interesting indeed, especially for the mushroom enthusiasts and perhaps students. I really wish I have the time for studying mushrooms too, but too much ansorbed with the plants at this moment in time.

Yes, you can go ahead with pics but there are some technical rules/notes you may need to know.

1) Pics must not be larger from 950pix wide, else they come as non-visible attachment.

2) Images are prone to be taken ("Save target as") easily from the forum, so consider to include a copyright sign on them unless it's ok to bu public shareware

3) 6 images per post is for the moment possible. If you have more images, please open a new post to continue the rest

4) Images must be yours.

And finally thank you for this unique info. Are bracket fungi grown this way?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks for the go ahead i will post my pics on the Kingdom Mushrooms section when i have the chance though!. Anyways yes a similar technique is used but instead of using sawdust mushrooms are sometimes grown industially on huge piles of logs. then the logs are inoculated by inserting a colonized dowel into the logs. this is also done on tree stumps. this can be done at home but using hardwood logs eg:fraxinus or almond wood. i don't know exactly why but i think that certain softwood like the pine trees have certain chemicals that inhibit mycelial growth. Thanks again.