Gnien Garnaw

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Hulland

Gnien Garnaw

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:34 am

This week I got the bus from Qawra to Mellieha and got off near the roundabout at Ghadira. I walked up the hill and then took the first rough track off to the left, and followed Gnien Garnaw through the fields right up to the punic caves. Then returned down the next valley to the West ( Wied San Niklaw)/ I met some really nice farmers and they all described how they had farmed in the area for many years. One hunter kindly showed me the spring, and complete irrigation system started by his great, great grandfather. ( Generally, I find if people are approached in a friendly, interested way they usually respond with interesting information) Other farmers offered me a few oranges, lemons and a bag full of chillies.
A fantastic day out in a wonderful, quiet and relatively unspoiled area. I finished off by visiting the two old walls ( 1600's I think!) built above the by-pass, as part of the plan to build a wall round Malta( previous to the Victoria Lines). I was given an old "fruit basket" which I was told was used as a measure in olden times ( ??).
I really recommend this area as one of the most tranquil-it is also full of wild birds singing happily too. - I hope this is of interest to someone?
Attachments
MelSol 57.jpg
MelSol 57.jpg (131.43 KiB) Viewed 12409 times
MelSol 43.jpg
MelSol 43.jpg (121.53 KiB) Viewed 12409 times
MelSol 30.jpg
MelSol 30.jpg (136.96 KiB) Viewed 12409 times
MelSol 13.jpg
MelSol 13.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 12409 times
MelSol 10.jpg
MelSol 10.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 12409 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for sharing this Hulland - Other members take this example :P

You seem you got lot of things for free - even a basket!

Mellieha is really nice for walks. Pity SantaMaria and the Ghadira sand dune was developped. The Ghadira Nature reserve is also worth visiting
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes I hope to visit one of the reserves this Sunday and combine it with a walk around Ghajn Tuffieha/ Il Qarrabba, maybe

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:38 pm

By the way, you have taken very nice pics - i really liked the one with the old carobs by the rock.

Thanks again and well done
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Thankyou--I usually take far more than I need, but with digital it is definitely the best way to go. I use automatic batch processing, which helps to cut down a lot on the time, but I still have over 300 from this week alone to "file". I hope more people start to post their own pics, it would make a further interest for the forum.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:18 pm

remember going to that or a nearby area with mwp. was one of the most interesting places I have visited! plenty of different and rare plants. Some plants I still haven't seen anywhere else.

Hulland

Post by Hulland » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes, agreed, I have been there up and down three times in three weeks, never the same place twice.